Isn’t it frustrating when your internet stops working? Do your video calls frequently drop? Programs taking forever to work through your VPN? Here are some simple to more advanced troubleshooting tips that you can take to resolve your problems.
If your Wi-Fi suddenly stops working:
- First, make sure the Wi-Fi adapter on your device hasn’t disconnected from your Wi-Fi network. For laptop users, this could happen if there is a brief period where you go out of the range for your router. Simply reconnect normally to resume connection.
- If the problem persists, restart your router. Simply unplug your router and wait about 15-20 seconds before plugging it back in. Wait approximately 5 minutes to allow the router to fully establish a connection and then reconnect with your device.
- Sometimes the antennas on your router could be bent or broken, check to see if there is any physical damage to your antennas. If there is, it may be time to get a new one.
Compare your internet connection to water coming in through a pipe into your house. If the pipe is clogged or takes too many turns then water will not flow as quickly to your sink or shower. Also if too many people are running water at the same time then you will get lower water pressure and less water.
In order to improve your home internet you need to follow the flow of information from the router provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to your computer. If too many people are drinking from the same tap everyone will slow down a bit.
Quick Tip: When everything is working properly, you can expect the icons on your router to be a solid or blinking green or blue light (this depends on the brand of the router). This let’s you know that the device is plugged in and properly functioning. If you don’t see these lights, confirm the connections to the router are secured properly. Otherwise, chances are the internet to your home is out, your router doesn’t have a strong connection, or your router is possibly defective. If this is the case, you will need to reach out to your ISP for repair or replacement.
When basic measures fail try these steps:
- Is your network suddenly not showing up at all on your devices? It is possible your router has overheated and turned itself off to cool down. Make sure your router has ample space surrounding it for proper ventilation. Wait a few minutes for the router to cool down, then turn it back on and reconnect to your device.
- Wi-Fi is not always a reliable connection or indicator of your true internet connection speed into your residence. If you are experiencing a slow internet connection or your router is on and are receiving no internet, try connecting an ethernet cord from your router to your device. Then turn off or disconnect the WiFi on your device and test if the connection is improved or restored.
Quick Tip: For the best reception signal, you should place your Wi-Fi router in the center of your home, so the signal can reach as much of your home as possible. Another option is to invest in a better router or WiFi access point. Typically, the devices you receive from the ISP are not the best when it comes to performance.
We want to give you a boost with an AmpliFi’s Alien WiFi 6 router for connectivity that is out of this world. Unlock multiple chances to win!
When all else fails:
If none of the previous troubleshooting pointers worked, your internet connection has probably been shut off, or your hardware equipment needs to be updated. Give your ISP (Internet Service Provider) a call so they can better help you with your issues. Are you a client with Domain? Give us a call about upgrading your home wifi setup.
Want more from your IT provider? We know change is hard.
A conversation is a great place to start. Contact us to set up a call.
“Take advantage of this opportunity to think outside the box.”Anthony & Adel discuss some of the ways working entirely remotely has changed the way they think about communication, training and managing time. Sometimes it takes a crisis to break us outside of our...
Due to COVID-19, entire teams are working remotely and that presents a whole set of challenges for businesses. But productivity does not have to take a dive. We’ve got all the tools and applications you will need to keep your business running, maybe even better than...
Working from home made easy.As you know, we are in the midst of a very trying time for society and business in general. That is why Domain as a technology company, is reaching out to provide value through education by sharing some helpful tips for working from home....